Commentary on the Book
“They Came Before Columbus”
These notes, comments and listings are an un-edited perspective of my readings of the book “They Came Before Columbus” by Ivan Van Sertima.
I don’t feel the need to site sources or prove anything in this writing. We have been lied to; and information has been so manipulated to support agendas; there is no reason for me to want to try and prove anything. So that, this contribution is for those who SEEK… and not just believe. Ashe.
The book begins by identifying three “classical distinction” of races: (1) Negroid, beings thought to have originated from the continent called AfriKa or AKaBaLan; (2) Mongolid people from the continent and islands of Asia; and (3) Caucasoid people originating from northern and western lands of Asia.
For my writings, I will use the words “Nubian” and “AfriKan” to describe Beings with all or most of the following natural distinctive physical features:
-richly melanated skin, eyes and hair;
-tightly curled hair;
-flat wide noses;
-legs longer than torso.
And at times, I will distinguish the difference between Nubians, West and East AfriKans… being that Nubians are of the inland parts of the continent of AfriKa when compared to coastal distinctions.
I also use the word “MesoAmerican” to describe indigenous pre-Columbian people who lived in North and Central America. Even though the book suggests the MesoAmerican was indeed a fusion of the three “classically” identified races; there is evidence MesoAmerican beings existed on American soil as early as human existence… and they themselves are a unique “race.” Unique race or not, the book definitely proves AfriKans were very much a part of their physiology, culture and civilization.
My intention for using the word Kemet is to describe location and people living around the Nile River at a time of 4000-3000 B.C. Upper Kemet includes tribes as south as the Sudan who are generally full blooded Nubians. Where modern day Egypt would represent Lower Kemet.
There is such a wealth of information to comment on from the book; I tried to categorize everything to make it easier for SEEKERS to find exactly what they are searching for… without reading this whole posting. But there is so much overwhelming data to share, some of the information may be re-stated in multiple categories as follows:
-MesoAmerican Worship of Nubians
-The Olmec Civilization
-AfriKan Artifacts in America
-AfriKan Physiology in America
-AfriKan Agriculture in America
How They Came
-West AfriKa to America
-East AfriKa to America
-America to West AfriKa
Other Convincing Details
-Nubia, Egypt and MesoAmerica
Nubians were very much a part of the Americas before Colombian colonization. And even though there is evidence of Viking voyages to the Americas, unlike the AfriKans, there is no identifiable trace of Viking culture or bloodlines in indigenous American peoples.
Ancient Indigenous American Worship of Nubians:
- -MesoAmericans worship/ed gods illustrated in the color of black such as Quetzalcoatl and Tezcatlipoca;
- -Oral tradition in the Popul Vuh bible, of the Quiche Maya, mentions “black people” and “paleskinned people” who “came to this land from the sunrise.”
- -MesoAmericans, Mexicans and Egyptians share the same hieroglyph for the sun.
- -Remnants of the 1310 expedition of Abubakari the Second, of the great Mali empire, have been found in Oaxaca Mexico;
- -There is documented evidence of voyages by the Mandingo and Songhay tribes on the Atlantic Ocean during the latter half of the 15th century;
- -Mandingo traders in medieval Mexico where called “Chichimecs”, a nomatic tribe described as having “skins as black as the sheen of ocelots” who entered the valley of Mexico “armed and apprehensive, but with an air of authority.”
- -Mandigo expeditions around 1310-1311 show a migration to Peru from the Gulf of Mexico by the burial mounds they left filled with West AfriKan totems, figurines and blue-white shells.
- -In 1513, Balboa noted finding many “unmistakably African” people in a settlement at the Isthmus of Darien (Panama), large enough to sustain an army;
- -The Smithsonian Foundation reported two “Negroid” skeletons found on St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, Hull Bay, carbon dating back to 1250 A.D.;
- -Ancient Nubian skeletal remains have been found in the valley of the Pecos River;
- -Egyptian-type step pyramids are found in Mexico and Central America today;
- -The pre-Columbian “Curacoa” people, of the Caribbean, were described “men were black”, “tall” and from the “Island of Giants”.
The Olmec Civilization:
- -Nubian featured Olmec heads, ranging in size from 8-12 feet in height, found in parts of Mexico and Central America, date back as early as 800 B.C.;
- -The sacred center of the Olmec culture is La Venta, Mexico, about 18-miles from the Gulf of Mexico;
- -An Olmec head was unearthed in Vera Cruz, Mexico in 1939 with the date of November 4, 291 B.C. incribed on it;
- -Olmec heads have also been found in Tikal, Guatemala, and Tabasco, Mexico;
- -As of the writing of the book, 11-Giant-Olmec heads had been found in Mexico alone, 4-La Venta, Mexico, 2-Tres Zapotes Mexico and 5-San Lorenzo Vera Cruz Mexico.
AfriKan Artifacts in America:
- -AfriKan camels are illustrated on rocks in South America;
- -The maraca, a gourd rattle, is part of both Mali and MesoAmerican rituals;
- -In La Venta, Mexico is a temple with over 140 figurines of Nubians and Nubian-Asians;
- -”patently Egyptian statuettes” have been found on the beaches of Acajutla San Salvador;
- -Step pyramids were being built in Mexico and Peru around the same time as in Kemet;
- -Step pyramids in MesoAmerica kept the “hypostyle” of including a forest of columns as in Kemet, as with Nubian Egypt, the columns orientate with cosmic elements;
- -Egyptians buried their dead vertically and therefore created flares at the end of the sarcophagi to stand them up, MesoAmericans build sarcophagi with the same kind of flared ends… even though they buried their dead horizontally;
- -By understanding the mummification of Princess Mene of Kemet, the same chemical formula has been found to match that used in ancient burials in Peru;
- -Some MesoAmericans buried a green amulet in the mouth of their deceased… much like how Nubian-Egyptians placed the green scarab beetle in the mouth to represent the heart and mother;
- -MesoAmerican kings and priest wore artificial beards much like Nubian-Egyptians;
- -Pre-Columbian tobacco pipes have been found in Butler County Ohio with elephant totems;
- -Pre-Columbian paintings of Nubians are found in Michoacan and Oxaca Mexico.
AfriKan Physiology in America:
-The Lacandon Indians, the most secluded of Maya tribes have been know to have sickled cells that protect most AfriKans from maleria;
-13.5 percent of skeletons found in Olmec cemeteries are of Nubian genetics;
-The Berbers were a fusion of Mali-AfriKans, Arab, Asians, Indians and Caucasians who lived north of the Mali empire and gave allegiance to Mali leadership.
AfriKan Agriculture in America:
- -Cotton native to AfriKa is found with Mayan and Incan tribes;
- -It has been heavily researched and proven that the native AfriKan strand(s) of cotton could have only come to the Americas by man, (not by floating in the ocean for months), and ancient Peruvians were using it as early as 2500 BC;
- -West AfriKan yams are another plant that was brought to the Americas by Nubians;
- -Agriculture native to the Americas like maize, pumpkin, peaches, pomegranate, lettuce, avacado, cherimoya, sweetsop, soursop, guava, papya, and the pineapple made its way to AfriKa before Columbus;
- -Maize is known to have been introduced to the Yoruba tribes as early as the year 1000 from the north and east of the Niger river;
- -Animals native to the Americas like llama and alpaca made its way to AfriKa before Columbus.
How They Came
AfriKans from every part of their continent traveled the world to trade, explore and flee away from invasion. There is documented fact that fast moving currents can move objects across great seas and oceans without the use of propulsion. However, at the writing of the book, currents hardly ever flowed such that a sailor could return the same way. In most instances, attempting to return on the same current would send a boat extremely way off course from its origination.
In modern times, the AfriKan-Arab Moors were able to refine the Arabic magnetic needle to improve upon a maritime compass. Inventions like the compass most likely assisted AfriKans with finding the currents and winds they needed to return home.
West AfriKa to America:
- -A North Equatorial Current, off the coast of Senegambia West AfriKa, magnetically pulls westward toward the Caribbean Sea;
- -The Guinea Current flows circularly and can be joined by the South Equatorial Current for travel across northern South America into the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico;
- -The Canaries Current flows toward Florida and into the northern parts of the Caribbean, and then into the Gulf of Mexico;
- -The AfriKan bottle gourd, a plant that can not grow along the coast, was found floating along the shoreline of Tamaulipas in Mexico;
- -A Nubian geographer by the name Idrisi documented Arabic ships visiting Atlantic islands around the year 1151;
- -A Turkish admiral is credited with the “Piri Reis” map that illustrates charted eastern coastline of South America around the year 1513 with longitudinal and latitudinal relationships to AfriKa… but the map’s was partially destroyed at the library of Alexandria;
- -AfriKan Arab ships of Moors arrived in Venezuela as early as the year 0800.
East AfriKa to America:
- -Kouro-Siwo is a Pacific current, called the “black stream” and responsible for transporting indigenous Afro-Californians;
- -Bantu-Islamic civilizations of KiSwahili used Indian Ocean currents to trade with India and China hundreds of years before Columbus;
- -Many times Nubian Egyptians hired Phoenician ships and crew as mercenary seamen;
- -Peruvian stories describe “blacks coming to them across the Andes”;
- -The “Sung” documents from eastern Asia called America “Mu-lan-pi” meaning “land reached by great ships”;
- -In 1969, a boat called the Ra II, built by Buduma East AfriKan tribesmen, proved the papyrus reeds boats of Nubian-Egypt, and wooden vessels of the same design, are capable of crossing the southern Atlantic to the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, also proving size has nothing to do with seaworthiness, these type boats are documented on artifact walls of tombs for Pharaohs Hatshepsut at the Temple of deir el-Bahri and Menes at Abydos;
America Back 2 AfriKa:
- -A Gulf Stream departing Florida provides a return route back to North AfriKa, which might explain a modern group of people who prefer to live in tents of the Sahara possess MesoAmerican traits;
- -A short land mass in Mexico (some 200miles) that separates Vera Cruz’s Gulf of Mexico with Oaxaca’s Pacific shorelines was very popular with the Olmec civilization, and may be attributed to the Pacific Ocean equatorial currents being the route back to the coasts of AfriKa.
Other Convincing Details
- -Panama was once described by many early explorers as the “Isthmus of Darien” and was the shortest route to the Pacific Ocean currents back to AfriKa;
- -Expeditions by the Mandingo (1310-1311) and Songhay (1462-1492) are noted to have landfalls at the Isthmus of Darien (Panama);
- -Ethiopia was a generally accepted term for all of AfriKa and used to describe the continent on maps;
- -The Somali coast of AfriKa is referred to as “Punt” on many maps and navigational instructions;
- -The winds and currents from the northern parts of the Pacific Ocean are more likely to propel boats and seeds from Asia to North America (not necessarily MesoAmerica) and do not blow/flow the opposite way;
- -In the late 15th century, EuroAsians tried to destroy all evidence of Moorish maps, travels and discoveries;
- -The Giant-Olmec heads weigh up to 40 tons and stand in large squares, plazas or temple entrances;
- -The sides and floors of the Olmec temples were painted red, yellow and purple;
- -The Olmec civilization have been proven to be a fusion of West AfriKan, Nubian, Asian and Phoenician;
- -All Giant-Olmec heads have strong West AfriKan-Nubian features;
- -Each Giant-Olmec head faces east towards the Atlantic Ocean;
- -Most of the Giant-Olmec heads have speaking tubes that run through the ears to be used as an oracle;
- -The Olmec heads date between 800-680 B.C. or the time of 25th Dynastic Egypt;
- -The head covering of most of the Giant-Olmecs match that of Nubian-Egyptian naval battle helmets, others wear Afros.
Nubia and Egypt and MesoAmerica:
- -Nubians controlled Egypt from 800-700 B.C. and were great innovators of maritime science as they traveled the Nile and along the eastern coast of AfriKa;
- -Mixed bloodlines of people occupying Lower Egypt were known as the ”people of the sun”;
- -There is no denying the MesoAmerican serpent-bird culture is very closely identified with the AfriKan Secretarial bird from Nubia and dynastic Egypt;
- -AfriKan, MesoAmericans and Polynesians deify a winged sun, also know as the Egyptian savior Horus, that is illustrated over temple gates in all four cultures;
- -Nubian King Menes joined southern Sudan (Upper Egypt) with northern Egypt (Lower Egypt) to safeguard Kemet from foreign invaders around 3400 B.C. that lasted over 3,000 years and is classified the 1st Dynastic period;
- -Lower Egypt consisted of the most fusion of AfriKans with Asians;
- -The first four dynasties in Kemet practiced the sciences of mathematics and mummification;
- -The 25th Dynasty of Kemet is called the Ethiopian Dynasty, “Ethiops” literally means “burnt face”;
- -Modern day Ethiopians are of Abyssinia culture;
- -Nubian king Mentuhotep I reunited Kemet after a successful invasion around 2200-2050 B.C.;
- -Egyptians were eventually overthrown by Asssyrians using iron weaponry;
- -Ancient Nubian rulers tried to improve on their population decimated by wars and inter-racial marriage by practicing what is called “solar blood”, royal incest to preserve bloodlines, MesoAmerican tribes are known to practice solar blood for the same reasons;
- -Nubian Egyptians traveled to Cyprus for copper to help fight against the iron weaponry of the Assyrians.
Nubian Deity in MesoAmerica:
- -The story of the return of Quetzalcoatls describes “a true child of the sun burned dark by its rays” coming from the eastern horizon by sea, on a day that coincides with the arrival of Abubakari the Second in 1311;
- -Other stories suggest Quetzalcoatl “disappearing” or leaving MesoAmerica from the Toltec capital of Tula around 1020 from the Yucatan, this could have been the first expedition sent by Abubakari the Second;
- -Quetzalcoatls is associated with having brought a sophisticated agricultural crop science, sacred geometry and calendar timekeeping system to MesoAmerica using 13-cycles per year, very similar to the 13-zodiacs of West AfriKa;
- -The Mexican Quetzalcoatl is very similar to the Mandingo “Dasiri” god of moisture.
Advanced Nubian and West AfriKan Culture:
- -AfriKans were practicing agriculture on the Niger river as early as 5140 B.C.;
- -Ancient Nubian kings are buried on beds rather than in coffins;
- -AfriKan smelting of iron dates back to 650 BC at Meroe in Nubia, and 200 BC at Nok in Nigeria;
Advanced Nubian and West AfriKan Agriculture in the Americas:
- -AfriKan cottons have been cultivated for as long as 5000 B.C., and was a “major contribution” to the well being of the Mande people;
- -Cotton did not appear in Mexico before 3400 B.C., found in America before Asia;
- -The Necropolis of Ancon, in Peru, provides a wealth of antiquity in arts, science and truth where Peruvian Inca elaborately bury their nobility, sometimes opening burials to re-clothe and re-feed the dead, AND many AfriKan cottons were found in the graves;
- -Bananas were distributed to north AfriKa by Arabs and the fruit was later brought to the Americas.
Even though the book was not an easy read… I sincerely enjoyed learning the abundance of evidence and en-lighting details on how our ocean winds and currents brought together people around the world. Specifically, the book provides a collection of AfriKan and MesoAmerican shared artifacts, science and culture.
I’m in full agreement with the author that the humiliation of the AfriKan races, on American soil, began with the arrival of Columbus and other EuroAsian colonization. But centuries before then, the MesoAmericans, Peruvians and South Americans fully acknowledged Nubian, Egyptian and other AfriKan contributions. Unfortunately, as suggested in the book, it seems black inferiority was necessary to keep the Christian conscience of EuroAsians at peace.
And despite what my formal education teaches, this book’s evidence proves AfriKans visited and settled in the Americas before EuroAsians claimed to have discovered it. I would go further to agree that America discovered Europe centuries before Columbus claims to have discovered America.
My favorite quote in the book describes how the concept diversity is overwhelming more natural than the supremacy system that was put in place at the arrival of EuroAsians such as Columbus…
-“Fusion is the marriage – not the fatal collision – of cultures.”-